Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Beneath the Withered


Spring has come early this year. So I found myself on a crisp, sunny morning combing back the dead foliage from last years flowers. I removed the old and underneath lay the new. It surprised me every time. I just couldn’t stop smiling about the promise that was awaiting under every pile of dead leaves. New life. Small lime green shoots and leaves.  


My heart stirred with hope.

At times we get discouraged when we look at the withered parts of our lives. We think can anything good come from this?

The circumstances for each of us may be different. It could be our failing health, broken relationships, marriage, wayward children, finances or even the ordinary stresses of life.  

We forget that God is working toward our good. As we continue to seek Him. As we continue to trust in His goodness. As we continue to lean on his strength. As we continue to remain. We are growing. (John 15:5)

We may not see the results of these choices at first but change is taking place and soon it will burst forth out of what seems dead. For just when we think that nothing good can come from our withered hearts we begin to notice the changes.  

I’ve come to see this pattern over and over again in my journey with Jesus. At times I see the beauty of new spiritual growth so evident in my life and at other times all I see it dry landscape of my heart. And I’m tempted to think nothing good will come. But God is doing a new work in my heart during these times.  

So don’t lose heart today if you find yourself feeling withered. God is working on your behalf because of His unfailing and unbreakable love.  

Trust in Him and soon you'll discover new life springing forth.
We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.  And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. Romans 5:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment