Friday, August 14, 2015

Turning the Page


Everything can change in just a moment. That is what happened when my husband got the call about a new job. We’d be moving. Though some might think of moving as a grand new adventure, I’m more the one to dread the changes. I don’t like change. Well at least not BIG changes. I'm good with season changing, or changing my home decor, or even changing my regular order at my favorite restaurants...but pretty much I don’t like change.

We all can feel much the same way. Through we know change can be good, we fear the unknown. And that unknown keeps us hunkered down in the comfortable and familiar.

I’ve been reading through the story of Abraham found in Genesis chapter 12-25. It’s been so comforting to read his faith journey. Abraham was human. He got tripped up a lot, like me. Yet he is a faith hero.

God had called Abraham to leave everything. He left his homeland, his family and friends, and all his comforts to go to a new land. And God didn't even tell him where just that he would show him. (EEK! At least I know the place.) He packed up everything and went. The Bible doesn’t tell us what Abraham was thinking but he was human. Moving to an unknown place is a big change. And big changes freak people out.

Like me, did he or his wife Sarah think...

"Where are we going to live? What if I can’t find the right house? What will the neighbors be like? Great or really weird? What about the schools? Are they high performing? Will my kids be okay? Are there any great churches? Will we find one like the one we are leaving? Is there any good shopping? Will we find great friends again? Will we fit in? How long will be feel unsettled?"

When all these are unknown the time has come for a freaking out moment. Which I have had many of these moments over the last couple of months. And trust me it has not been pretty.

But when God called Abraham he didn’t just say go and that was it. No, God gave him six promises.
The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. 2 I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. 3 I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.” Genesis 12:1-3
The Lord knew just how to comfort Abraham's heart. He knew just what Abraham needed to hear to help him on the faith journey ahead. God promises him a child. He promises to make him into a somebody in a land where he will start as a nobody. He promises that he will be a blessing to others. The Lord also promises to have his back when the going get tough. Lastly, He promises Abraham that he will have a lasting legacy.  
Knowing God’s promises strengthen us to walk in faith.

Lord gave Abraham promises to strengthen his faith and He has given me promises to strengthen mine. When you and I remember, rest and trust in the those promises we are able to walk forward in joy, peace, and hope.

You know when you are reading a really great book that you can’t wait to turn the next page to find out what happens? If you are like me, you have cheated a few times and turned to the end because you know it’s going to be that good. In the story of my life, I’ve been so reluctant to turn this next page. Fearing the unknown. I’m also so sad because I've loved this chapter so much. But I have a perfect author, a heavenly author, that has already written my story and it is going to be pretty great. He promises that it will be. Not because of anything I’ve done but because of Him and everything that He has done.

So just like Abraham as we set out to a new land our faith is being strengthened because of the Lord’s great promises.
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
What promises are strengthening your faith today? 

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this Shelly. Thank you for sharing. We'll miss randomly seeing you around and I'll be praying for your family as you settle into your new life. Blessings, Jen T.:)

    ReplyDelete