Monday, May 13, 2013

ABC Wall Art


Just put up the ABC wall art in our playroom.  I am so happy with how it turned out.  It is bright, fun, and bold.  Like all great ideas these days, I got it from Pintrest.  The pin was used all the same style of letter and then covered them with different papers.  I just mixed it up a bit.   Here is how I went about this project. 

Materials
Step 1:  I combed Hobby Lobby and Micheal's for letters.   With several returns, I finally came up with the look I wanted.  I knew I wanted some to be painted and some to be covered with paper.  With some letters on sale I averaged about $3 a letter.

Step 2: Each letter had to be traced on the craft paper.  Yikes, remember to place letter backwards then when you turn it over paper will be on the right side.  Cut out each letter and use the mod podge to glue it to the corresponding wood letter.   Trim around the letter with an exacto knife.  Use a sanding block to buff up the edges.  This creates a great worn look for those of you who like the shabby style.  Then paint mod podge over each letter in order to seal the paper.

Step 3: For those letters that you want to be painted choose your paint and paint!  My big letters I had to spray paint because they were ceramic for Hobby Lobby.  The small letter were wooden.  After painting the wooden letters I buffed up the edges with a block sander.  This takes off some of paint to create the worn look.  Then I simply wiped a light oak stain over the letters.  Poof, shabby letters.

Step 4: Attach brackets and Command hangers to letters.  I just used a glue gun to attach picture hanger hooks.  There was no way I was going to tap in tiny little nails.  I LOVE the command hangers and they worked great for the letters that were not wide enough to place a picture hanger.

Step 5: In order to hang this all up I first laid it out on the floor.  This let me get a feel for how big of an area it would take along with letter placement.  I measured out the area on the wall.  It's about 6 ft. by 5 ft.  Then I marked it off with painter's tape.  Working row by row, I arranged and hung the letters.  Here is a great Pintrest tip for hanging decor.  Place a small amount of toothpaste on the back bracket.  Then place it on the wall where you want it hung.  When you pull the letter back away you will know just where to place the nail. 

Happy ABC Letter Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment