Saturday, July 20, 2013

Routines 101


My house can fall a part so quickly.  That is what happens with multiple munchkins in tow.

The best way I have found to keep up with the mess is to have an established morning and evening routine.  What you make a routine gets done!  You already have a routine too, it may go something like...  Roll out of bed, java up as fast as you can, turn on cartoons for munchkins so you can focus, and get breakfast on table while checking email or other social media. 

My mornings just happened for so long.  I did the same things but I never really gave thought to what I was doing or why I was doing it then.   I was just reacting (not always with a gentle spirit) to everything that came my way.  Sure I had ideals but they never seemed to happen.

It wasn't until I sat down and got purposeful about my routines that I began to see a difference.   Not that all of the craziness goes away, but there is more peace in my heart because I have a plan.   Proverbs 21:5 says, "Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity."

Note: I'm NOT a planner by nature.  I love to just GO.  But I have learned that wisdom calls for planning. 

Here is how...

Grab a paper and pencil, Yes I'm serious.

Write down what you and your kids already do each morning and each evening.  Next write down what you would like to see you and your kids doing in the morning and evening.  Be realistic and practical.  Each mom has her biggies.  Mine are a clean kitchen sink, tidy beds, and a picked up family room.  Your biggies may be different.  Taylor your routine to what is most important to you.  Note about how long it takes for to do each task.  If you don't know set a timer tomorrow morning and find out.  Really.  You'll be surprised that some things take way longer than you think and others take hardly any time at all!   Now you can use this as a guide for how long your routine takes for you and your kids.  This will better guide you on when everyone needs to be rolling out of bed.  

Here is what ours looks like...

My Morning
  • Make Bed
  • Do breakfast dishes
  • Wipe off kitchen table and counters 
  • Check - calendar, email, bank account
  • Table Time - Read Bible story, go over memory verses, pray, go over days events

My Kids Morning
  • Get dressed
  • Put away PJ's
  • Brush Teeth
  • Do Hair
  • Make Bed

My Evening
  • Dishes Done
  • Wipe off counters and table
  • Quick pick up of main living areas
  • Make pot of coffee
  • Quick sweep kitchen
  • Take out trash

My Kids Evening
  • Pick up toys 
  • Wash up
  • Dirty clothes in hamper
  • Put on PJ's 
  • Brush Teeth 
My kids Morning and Evening Routine is posted since they are still young.  It makes for an easy reminder for them.   I can say, "Check your routine.  Have you done everything?"


These are the routines I have now but I know that as seasons in my life change then my routines will change.  Yours will too.  I'll have one in school for the first time this year.   Mostly likely some things will change.  

Remember this is just a guide to help you.  I love checklists but they can also be a discouragement if you enslave yourself to them.  If you don't get to something no biggy.  That is life with little ones.  But if you don't have a plan you are going to continue running in circles.  At least I was.  I wish someone had told me about the benefits of a morning and evening routine earlier.  

Hope this is helpful.  Happy planning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment